Monday 18 April 2011

Shadowgrounds

     We'll now that I have had the bundle for a few days now I thought I would first take a look at the game Shadowgrounds. Remember that this game is tested on Ubuntu so it does not one hundred percent reflect any other platform that this game is on.
     The game is a 3D top down shooter for your in game play. I am going to take a look at some of the back story for the game. The game is set on a moon that orbits Jupiter in the distant future. There is a large colony that is setup on the moon. Then there is a alien attack that wipes out most of the population on the planet. You play as a maintenance worker that is in the colony that survives the initial attack. You have to go around helping other people out to get off the planet. You will uses different weapons that you can upgrade and tools along your way to help you out.
     Now I am going to start of with the good points of the game. The installation of the game went very well, the install put a shortcut onto the desktop and games menu. A lot of games that run on Linux that are cross distro (different Linux companies) do not even do this. The in game graphics were really top notch with a lot of proper lighting effects. The enemies and environment were really well done as well.
     Now for the issues that hurt what could have been a really solid game. The first issue was with the in game controls. There was a few times that I would be running away from aliens and I could not move. It was not like I was stuck on a item this was a wide open area that I was stuck for a few seconds. I found this to be a issue when you were trying to deal with all a lot of aliens at once. Another issue was in the cut scene that they had in the game. There was quite a few times that you hear them talk then the talking would stop but the text on the screen would change. It was like they forgot to record that part of the conversation. There was also random music that would start playing in parts of the game. This hurt for the fact that when they started talking you could not hear them over the music that was playing. The type of music they used also did not sound right when it came to what was going on in the game. The game would be a lot better of if the music was not in it.
     Still for all the issues I give this game a score of 5.5 out of 10. The amount of issues that the game has I really felt it really took you out of the game when these issues happened. Now with these issues I am not sure if they are only Linux related or other platform related. If these issues were solved when the game came out to the bundle I would have had no problems giving it a higher score. I will be taking a look at the other games in the near future. You can find the game here Frozenbyte and as of this writing the game cost $9.99 to $40.00 depends on were you buy the game from.


No comments:

Post a Comment